Thursday 14 October 2010

Today has been a really fun day. First thing, we took part in a Red Maids' tradition - being measured for our Red Maids' gaberdines for Founder's Day. I was a centimetre taller than my mate from the Junior School - mint!

Founder's Day is when the traffic in Bristol is stopped for us to walk to the Cathedral. John Whitson, our founder, was a mayor of Bristol in Shakespeare's time and when he died he left the money for our school in his will. Mrs Tobias gave us a tour of the old bits of the school and we saw his fireplace (one just like it is in the Bristol museum) and his portrait in the conference room which is majorly posh - like a mini-museum. It made me feel like a governor just being there.

In science today we used copper sulphate and alcohol which I got on my hand and it dried really quickly. We drew random faces (don't worry - we were meant to) on a glass to see which liquid would remove it. The experiment worked, luckily.

Only four days to Kilve - really excited to be going on a trip with everyone but scared about the spiders that are supposed to live around the cabins. There's going to be loads of activities like mountain boarding, high ropes, abseiling and climbing. Will let you know how I get on when I get back. See you soon...

1 comment:

  1. Aaah - Founders Day! Enjoy each and every one as when you leave, you will miss it. I was lucky enough to attend one a few years back, even though I left Red Maids rather a long time ago! When you the procession and service when you are not a part of it, it really is a spectacular and moving sight, and reminds me of all the Red Maids who have gone before me and all those who came after. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete